- Artomatic has found a 90,000 square foot space in Prince George’s County for this fall. Get a preview of the space tomorrow from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft is about to give humanity our first up-close look at Pluto when it whizzes by next Tuesday, July 14, after nearly 10 years in space. The first high-res images will reach Earth around 9:30pm Eastern that night, but for now we can enjoy this spectacular view of Pluto and its moon Charon taken on July 8.
- You can now view a large collection of OCR scanned Leica Photography magazines on Google Drive; nearly 70 are available, back to 1949.
- Humans of New York has 10 times more followers on Facebook than the most-followed newspaper has on all social media combined. But when does the personal touch that makes him so popular reveal an uncomfortable lack of accountability that a real photojournalist would have?
- Enter Sustainable DC’s “DC Climate Photo Contest” by July 12.
- Stunning images of the survival techniques and defensive adaptations of caterpillars by New England-based naturalist and photographer Samuel Jaffe.
- Russian Photographer Ralph Mirebs discovered the sad ruins of the Soviet space shuttle program at Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
- And if sad images of abandoned places are your thing, but you like an added touch of creepiness, these photos of abandoned amusement parks should be just your cup of tea.
- Decked out in natty suits and flowing dresses, locals and visitors from across Central and South America travelled to attend the 9th International Festival Danzon in Havana, Cuba.
- Across five years, five countries and 11 music festivals, Australian photographer Nic Bezzina has documented one constant – the raw emotion expressed by festival-goers.
- Dronestagram’s photo contest winners soar to “change the way we see the world.”
- Your Instagram photos are now being stored at a higher resolution.
- Selfie-stick + lightning = Darwin Awards nominee?
FotoWeekDC is upon us again, opening its seventh annual photography festival this Friday with a blow-out opening party at their new headquarters, the Former Spanish Ambassador’s Residence in Mount Pleasant. As always, there’s an overwhelming number of events, so we picked out a handful that we recommend making a priority. Got more worth recommending? Tell us in the comments.
(P.S. It’s not part of FotoWeek, but make time this Sunday for the opening of an extended run of our InstantDC Fall Review at Bloombars, from 2 to 4 p.m.)