Seeing these children stare blankly into a white television screen is more than a little eerie. This black and white photo from JY O’Reilly has all the elements necessary to make us believe that every Ray Bradbury novel was a keen predictor of the future.
In Frame: January 27, 2014
It is so cold that even the sun is freezing her buns off. Photographer JY O’Reilly caught a woman dressed as the sun taking a dip in the Potomac for the “Keep Winter Cold” Polar Bear Plunge. We hope the warm-themed outfit made the dip less treacherous.
In Frame: October 23, 2013
The use of negative space and the unusual, mundane subject matter are what caught my eye as I scanned the Flickr pool. The way JY O’Reilly has caught the light falling on the piled up trash bags gives them an almost reverential quality.
In Frame: September 18, 2013
Seeing this shot from JY O’Reilly in our Flickr pool this morning just made me smile. But it’s not only the humor of the person leaping that makes this photo — add the blocks of coordinated colors, the recurring geometric shapes and the great framing, and you’ve got yourself a winner.
In this week’s edition of Friday links we’ve got beautiful transportation architecture, winning thievery, a city that’s too smoggy to photograph, and discount pooch adoption.
- One of our favorite local photographers, Pat Padua, is putting together a list of movies about photographers. Have you seen them all? Got any more suggestions for him?
“We are almost at the point where one has to seriously ask if a photo doesn’t get any likes did it ever really happen?” PDN Online interviews Chris Suspect (whose photos make it onto this site with some frequency).
- WMATA’s got nothing on the Moscow metro stations.
- Ouch: The winning photo in Samsung’s latest Instagram contest was stolen. Reminds us a little of Sherrie Levine’s “After Walker Evens” reappropriation exhibit.
- Benedict Cumberbatch used paparazzi at his Sherlock set to send out a four-page message about government privacy invasions.
- Try not to have an asthma attack while taking your photo in front of blue-sky backdrops in Hong Kong.
- We all saw this coming: Canon’s new PowerShot has an instant “post to Facebook” button.
- “Don’t show up wearing the clothes you slept in” and 18 other common sense ways to not become a hated photographer.
- Aww, the Obamas have added to their squee-family. And tried to make up for not adopting a shelter pooch by donating an unknown sum to the Washington Humane Society, which is offering 25% off adoption fees through August, so now’s the time to get one of these ridiculously huggable creatures to add to your family.
- Finally, your weekly tiger link: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Endangered Tiger.