You can still sign up to be on the waitlist for our four awesome free photography classes next week. Thanks to Knowledge Commons DC for partnering us to offer these fun sessions. We’ll let you know when our next one starts!
- Carson Davis Brown creates works of art in big box stores without getting permission, photographs the results, and then leaves them “to be experienced by passersby and ultimately eroded by the locations staff.”
- A photographer was standing on Bombay Beach in California when the mysterious flame (which turned out to be a Navy missile test) lit up the sky last Saturday night.
- Life inside America’s secret nuclear past. Pictures of Oak Ridge, Tennessee show what it was like to live in a town built to accommodate the workers who helped create the nuclear bomb.
- For the Kayaw people of the remote village of Htay Kho – and millions from other ethnic groups that pepper Myanmar’s fringes – the November 8 general election is about more than just a fragile peace process.
- “Meet face to face with the talented people who make Artomatic shine.” This Saturday from 7-10pm is Artists Night at Artomatic.
- In a remote corner of the Russian Urals region of Sverdlovsk, tiny villages are shadows of their former selves. For the few local residents, a narrow-gauge railway is their lifeline.
- Mei Xiang watched as her cub, Bei Bei, took his first wobbly steps on Monday. [Video]
- Her name is “Grizzly 399,” she’s 19 years old, weighs 400 pounds and she’ll soon be slumbering for five months as she hibernates in the mountains of northwest Wyoming. Her many human fans will be anxiously awaiting her reappearance.