Are you getting our monthly newsletter? Don’t miss our happy hours, exhibit openings, and contest announcements: Sign up here.
- Here’s some helpful video on what not to do with a GoPro and a drone.
- Washingtonian has images from the 1927 tornado that touched down in D.C.
- “If you were like many kids, you probably spent much of your childhood in a hybrid world where reality and imagination fused into an indistinguishable whole.” Photographer Thomas Dagg pays homage to childhood by inserting Star Wars into real world snapshots.
- Portraits by Dmitri Kessel of Henri Matisse working.
- PhotoPhilanthropy has opened up their 2014 Activist Awards. “We invite all professional and emerging photographers who have collaborated with a nonprofit organization on a photographic project to participate in the 6th annual awards.”
- Joseph Sywenkyj has been awarded this year’s W. Eugene Smith Grant in Humanistic Photography for his long-term project on family life in Ukraine
- AP photos of cemetery overcrowding across the globe.
- “The most disappointing thing is that the students at Syracuse have missed that moment to learn about the Ebola crisis, using someone who has been on the ground and seen it up close. But they chose to pander to hysteria.” Pulitzer prize-winning Washington Post photojournalist Michel du Cille was disinvited to a Syracuse University journalism workshop because he had been to Liberia 21 days ago.
- The jaw dropping photos by the 2014 Photo Nightscape Winners.
- Because of Iran’s strict censorship rules on most art forms, artists in Tehran have gone underground to pursue their passions.
- Photographer Jonny Joo has been photographing abandoned farm homes in Ohio, and they are Halloween season spooky.
- Pamela Littky’s new book, Vacancy, documents the tight-knit communities of Baker, California and Beatty, Nevada, each of which claims to be the gateway to Death Valley.
Debi Cornwall wanted to see how prisoners and military guards lived at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. She discovered a surreal “paradise” marked by contrast and contradictions.
- And finally, your photo of Putin with a tiger cub, which, well, might now be raiding China for chickens?