Don’t forget to grab your advance tickets for our 2017 exhibit opening night, March 9, at cool new spot AJAX. $20 gets you first viewing of 43 gorgeous local photos framed and printed by the wonderful Framebridge, plus free wine, and craft beer by local brewmasters Bluejacket. Avoid paying extra on the day of the show by buying now (and no ticket fees!).
- 202filmcollective, a new “D.C.-based community dedicated to the art of film photography” announced their first ever meetup: Saturday March 11, 2 p.m. at Union Market.
- We all wiped away a tear as we bid Bao Bao bye bye this week. She left the National Zoo for China after three and a half years in D.C. Check out the extensive photo gallery halfway through this Washington Post article, covering everything from her departure via FedEx back to her first days as a pink blob of adorableness.
- Enjoy some local nature with these winners of Washington Gardener Magazine’s annual photo contest.
- A panel of artists, editors, and educators selected 12 African American photographers you should be following right now.
- Five-year-old Lola is recreating iconic portraits of famous black women to celebrate Black History Month.
- Bill Cunningham’s trademark bicycle, blue jacket and camera are now part of the permanent collection at the New York Historical Society.
- 17-year-old Brooklyn Beckham’s first photography book is set to be released next year. Sadly it is not called “Snap It Like Beckham” #missedopportunity
- Area raccoon hitches ride on garbage truck like a champ.
- Watch these Siberian tigers get some exercise by chasing–and catching–drones around in the snow.