Wishing you a happy new year as we enter the last hours of 2021 and look ahead to 2022! While it’s been another challenging and strange year, we are ever grateful for the amazing D.C. photography community that helps document it all. We look forward to seeing the work you’ve already created and the work yet to come.
- Submit your favorite images of the D.C. metro area to our annual photo contest by 1/30/22. The entry fee is $10/image, and the deadline is 1/30/22.
- See 2021 through the eyes of 12 women photographers in this story that is part of CNN’s ongoing series on gender inequality and produced in collaboration with Women Photograph.
- A new group exhibition at Studio Gallery opens January 5. The exhibit aims to show viewers when participating artists stopped being afraid of growth and to develop a colorful story map of growth even beyond the artworks shown; it includes the debut of Shedrick Pelt’s “Trivial Pursuits” photo series.
- The Guardian rounds up the best photographs of 2021 and the stories behind them.
- Swiss-French photographer Sabine Weiss, regarded as the last of the French humanist photography school of post-World War II, has died at the age of 97.
- TechRadar explores the 12 biggest camera and photography trends of 2022.
- Liu Heung Shing, the AP Moscow photo chief at the time, was the only foreign photographer who captured Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev’s resignation on Dec. 25, 1991 that marked the end of the USSR.