Thank you to everyone who entered our 2019 photography contest for sharing your work with us! Check back on Tuesday the 15th when we announce the winning images that will be showcased in our 13th annual Exposed DC Photography Show at Touchstone Gallery, and join us for happy hour that evening at 801 Restaurant & Bar.
- Head to Photoworks at Glen Echo Park for the first Coffee & Critique of 2019 on Sunday, 10 a.m. to noon, free.
- THIS SIDE OF SILVER: an art pop-up show at Aperture, a new apartment community in Reston, will feature local photographers among other artists, tomorrow from 2-5 p.m.
- Have great photos of gardens in or around D.C.? The 13th Annual Washington Gardener Magazine Photo Contest is accepting entries through January 22.
- The newly-opened Lumen Museum sits amidst the Dolomites, designed to showcase mountain photography amidst mountains themselves.
- The Flickering Treasures exhibit on view at the National Building Museum showcases the history of the movie-going experience in Baltimore over the years.
- British naturalist Anna Atkins was the first to use photography for scientific illustration in her magnum opus, British Algae. Some of her research and work is featured in an exhibition at the New York Public Library.
- A rare book dealer has spent the last 30 years acquiring pictures of China at the dawn of photography, from albumen prints to wet plates.
- WIRED seeks to find out how photography affects us in their latest episode of Tech Effects, covering selfie distortion, emotional memories, and more.