Join us for our November happy hour at Free State next Thursday, 6 p.m. Photographers and friends all welcome, and perhaps you’ll be able to tell us about some good exhibits you’ve seen recently because…
- FotoweekDC kicks off tonight! Head to the opening party and see the contest winners at FotoWeek Central, then search their calendar by location or daily events for more exhibits, discussions, workshops, photo walks, and parties than you could possibly cram into just one week.
- Go support two local photographers, Jessica Del Vecchio and Chris Williams, with their annual Art for Turkeys fundraiser: You’ll get six small photography prints for a donation of $32 or more to Bread for the City to provide holiday dinners.
- “Dereliction” by photographer Cedric Williams opens at BlackRock Center for the Arts in Germantown on November 11 with a reception from 2 to 4 p.m.
- The New York Times is in D.C. next week to hold a discussion with some of their Pulitzer-winning photojournalists at the Dupont Underground. Thursday, Nov. 16, 7:30 p.m. $15-20.
- Enter the international Wiki Science photography competition by the end of November. The U.S. part of the contest is being organized by Wikimedia District of Columbia.
- Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards aim to raise awareness about wildlife conservation efforts if you can stop laughing long enough first.
- Conservation photographers, filmmakers, scientists, and more will be meeting in D.C. on Nov. 14 and 15 at WildSpeak, a symposium to explore how visual media can contribute to impactful science communications and conservation efforts.
- “The vultures were so charming,” says photographer Traer Scott, who visited owls, kestrels, and other birds in rehabilitation centers for her new book, Raptors: Portraits of Birds of Prey.
- This probably isn’t news to our readers, but Pete Souza’s latest book, Obama: An Intimate Portrait, with an introduction by the President himself, was released this week. You’ll have to cruise Craigslist for tickets to Souza’s sold out talk at Sixth & I next Monday.