Hello September! Have you had a chance to see our exhibit in Crystal City? Take a left when you get off the metro and stroll down the long hallway (keep going past the theater) to view the work of 88 local photographers.
- You only have until Monday, September 4 to submit your eclipse images to the Focus on the Story contest. Our own Heather Goss is on the jury panel, and winners get cash and publication in their upcoming book (which you can pre-order here).
- The City Paper’s Louis Jacobson reviews the latest juried show at Leica Store DC, which runs through September 13.
- Spotted by @TheX2BusDC Twitter feed: H Street Custom Framing & Photo Lab has opened up near the Atlas theater.
- At DCist, Pablo Iglesias Maurer has made an incredible set of gifs that combine vintage postcards of idyllic scenes with photographs of the abandoned sites today.
- Can you have a little fun with stock photography? Antonio Guillem, the photographer behind the “distracted boyfriend” meme seemed to think so.
Turkish photographer Yonca Karakas creates eerily picture-perfect images she describes as an exposé of human greed.
- The Washington Post has a harrowing and very well done multimedia story on the victims of Hurricane Harvey.
- The world’s largest tomato fight happens, for some reason, in the small town of Bunol, Spain. The Atlantic has all the best images from the messy jam.
- Some color-sapped flamingo chicks took home the grand prize: See all the 2017 Bird Photographer of the Year Award winners here.