Join us on Monday, May 22 at 6 p.m. for our monthly happy hour at Jack Rose on the second level terrace. This is our first happy hour since winter, so we hope to see all your shining faces. Photographers and friends all welcome.
- We’re incredibly proud of our former Exposed team member Sanjay Suchak, who now works as UVA’s official photographer and whose images are now wallpapering the Charlottesville airport (and soon to come to even closer airports). He also came to Deanwood recently to meet and photograph DCPS Principal Ben Williams. “I think he’s one of the brightest spots in the DCPS,” Sanjay told us, and about the story: “It’s a tearjerker.”
- The City of Alexandria has put out a call for artists to submit proposals for a public art project in the Duke Street Tunnel. Deadline is June 4.
- Mammatus clouds are “pouch-like, bulbous clouds that hang menacingly from a layer of mid-level clouds,” according to the Capital Weather Gang, and we got a stunning view of them around the metro area last night.
- Listen to fine art photographer Mitch Epstein talk about contemporary landscape photography and his ongoing exhibit at the National Gallery of Art this Sunday at 12 p.m.
- Reminiscent of Hiroshi Sugimoto’s Theater series, photographer Jason Shulman uses ultra-long exposures to condense the entirety of films into a single image.
- The annual APA Awards contest is open and open to all photographers, though members save money on entry fees. Deadline is July 12.
- Today is Endangered Species Day! The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute celebrates with a slew of new births of endangered and vulnerable species.
- Don’t forget to RSVP for Critical Exposure’s annual youth photo exhibit on June 1. The event is free, but donations online and at the door are welcome and support their work teaching D.C. students to use photography for social advocacy.
- It’s better to give than to receive, so we hear. The D.C. Commission on Arts and the Humanities is looking for panelists to review grant proposals for next year.
- Gratuitous rescued-ducklings-in-a-box photo, courtesy of the 14th Librarian of Congress.