Our annual photography contest opens for entries in one week! That’s right, the 2023 contest is just around the corner, and we can’t wait to see all the amazing photographs you’ve captured over the last year or so. Start looking through your archives now or carve out some time over the holidays to reminisce. You’ll have until the end of January to submit your favorite photos that showcase life in D.C.
- Join StreetMeetDC tomorrow at 5 p.m. in front of the National Zoo for their final meet of the year with Zoo Lights.
- The shortlisted images of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award feature a playful polar bear cub, two nuzzling red foxes, and golden snub-nosed monkeys huddled together.
- Renowned sports and music photographer Michael Zagaris reflects on six decades of football photography.
- A new book by Prix Pictet features recent work by 64 women on the theme of sustainability, from freefalling office workers to funeral customs in rural China.
- Mauna Loa, the biggest active volcano on Earth, began erupting this week for the first time in nearly 40 years.
- A collection of aerial photos by Mitch Rouse show immaculate patterns of California farmlands.
- Self-proclaimed catographer Nils Jacobi offers an expansive look at felines through his growing portfolio of over 10,000 cat pictures.