Exposed DC Photography Show Rules
HOW TO ENTER
- Fill out our quick application form and follow the prompt to PayPal to submit your $10 application fee. We won’t share your info, but we will send you email if there’s a problem with your application or if your photo wins.
- Join the Exposed DC 2014 Contest Flickr group. If you don’t have a Flickr account, please create one at least a week before the contest closes, even if you aren’t ready to submit your images, because Flickr will sometimes limit your posting to groups for several days to a week. You only need a free basic account.
- Enter up to 3 photos. Film is great, but you’ll have to scan your images and upload them to Flickr.
- We will post links to the winners here and notify the photographers via email on January 15, 2014. Some photographers may have more than one image selected.
- You can upload (and substitute) your entries until 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, January 8, 2014.
WHAT TO ENTER
- Subject Matter: The Exposed DC Photography Show is a celebration of our nation’s capital as seen through the eyes of people who live and work here. Show us your best images of local art, sports, food, culture and street photography and yes, even the occasional monument, but make sure it blows us away! We want to see your amazing, everyday Washington, D.C. experiences.
- Location: You must live and enter photos taken in the general geographical area. You can look at past winners for inspiration.
- Dated and Altered Images: Our rule is simply to be reasonable. If your photo is obviously ten years old, it’s unlikely we’ll choose it to represent the city we live in today. Basic image adjustments are fine, but if it’s obviously Photoshopped to some place outside of reality (text, extreme filters, gratuitous use of HDR, etc.), it’s very unlikely we’ll choose it.
IF YOUR IMAGE WINS
- You’ll be asked to participate in our annual gallery show at Long View Gallery.
- You give Exposed DC permission to reproduce your image on our website and in the exhibition catalog.
PARTICIPATING IN THE GALLERY EXHIBIT
- Winning photographers will get to display their image in a real art gallery exhibit!
- We require standardization for the exhibit. Your image should be printed no larger than 8×12 (or approximately, if it’s irregular) and matted and framed according to our set standards:
– Black metal moulding 16×20 or smaller frame with regular glass
– White acid free mat
– White acid free foam core backing
- We know most of you have never had your work professionally framed before, but we want your work to look its best, so no homemade jobs unless you’ve got some experience doing this. Most framing stores can charge a significant amount and take quite a bit of time to frame your work. Most Exposed winners have used Apex Glass & Moulding because they know our specs and do their framing faster and cheaper than any other store. Long View Gallery also has a frame shop, but you’ll want to bring it to them at least a few weeks before installation.
- You can offer your print for sale in the exhibit. If you’ve never sold a photograph, we’ll advise you on pricing and other questions. Remember this is an exhibit focused on amateur photographers and your sale prices should reflect that.
- To help us pay for the event, Exposed DC keeps 30 percent of all sales in your edition during the exhibit.
- You’ll have 8 weeks to print, mat and frame your photograph. During the week before the opening reception, you’ll need to deliver your photograph to Long View Gallery.
- Bring your family and friends to the opening reception at Long View Gallery on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 to celebrate all the winners, spy on gallery-goers as they gush over your work, and maybe buy a photo yourself! The exhibit will close on Sunday, March 30, 2014.