What better justice can you do for a foggy forested island than photographing it in old black and white film? The scratches practically etch out the evil spirits in this Penobscot Bay, Maine scene by Robb Hohmann.
Oh sure, we just picked one of Bill’s great catches on Wednesday, but I couldn’t resist this wonderful shot of Nats Park (click on the image to see how great it looks embiggened!) It’s been perfect weather to catch a game — and lucky Bill, he attended on the only night the Nats beat the Mets last week, in a sudden upset in the bottom of the eighth inning. Go watch them play the Phillies this weekend, and see if you can get as nice a shot as this one.
Photographer John Ulaszek leaves us with an important life lesson to take into this three-day weekend: Always focus on the cheese.
In this week’s edition of Friday links we’ve got beautiful transportation architecture, winning thievery, a city that’s too smoggy to photograph, and discount pooch adoption.
- One of our favorite local photographers, Pat Padua, is putting together a list of movies about photographers. Have you seen them all? Got any more suggestions for him?
“We are almost at the point where one has to seriously ask if a photo doesn’t get any likes did it ever really happen?” PDN Online interviews Chris Suspect (whose photos make it onto this site with some frequency).
- WMATA’s got nothing on the Moscow metro stations.
- Ouch: The winning photo in Samsung’s latest Instagram contest was stolen. Reminds us a little of Sherrie Levine’s “After Walker Evens” reappropriation exhibit.
- Benedict Cumberbatch used paparazzi at his Sherlock set to send out a four-page message about government privacy invasions.
- Try not to have an asthma attack while taking your photo in front of blue-sky backdrops in Hong Kong.
- We all saw this coming: Canon’s new PowerShot has an instant “post to Facebook” button.
- “Don’t show up wearing the clothes you slept in” and 18 other common sense ways to not become a hated photographer.
- Aww, the Obamas have added to their squee-family. And tried to make up for not adopting a shelter pooch by donating an unknown sum to the Washington Humane Society, which is offering 25% off adoption fees through August, so now’s the time to get one of these ridiculously huggable creatures to add to your family.
- Finally, your weekly tiger link: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Endangered Tiger.